Who is this Helper?

Before we plunge in let’s set things up with the subject of the trinity.

You may have heard me say that I don’t really understand the trinity. I’m serious when I say that but I’m ok with it, too. If I knew and understood everything about God then He wouldn’t be amazing enough to be God. I expect there to be things about God’s nature and abilities that far exceed my understanding. And God being one but three at the same time is one of those things about Him that my math mind just cannot fathom, at least not fully. But one being three is the best way He can describe His super-amazing self to my finite mind.

We are first introduced to the trinity together in Luke 3.

So here are three distinct people: Jesus being baptized, the Holy Spirit coming down as if He is anointing Jesus, and the Father speaking His approval from heaven. And as 1 John 5:7 says, “these three are one.” (Anointing means He was marked or chosen for His ministry task.)

Jesus is an adult when He is baptized but He has not yet begun His ministry. I think this is significant. He was baptized as an example for us. And He didn’t begin His ministry until after He was approved and anointed. I think He is also showing us that we need the Holy Spirit with us if we hope to have ministry with impact!

And Jesus wasn’t simply touched by the Holy Spirit. Luke 4 says Jesus was:
full of the Holy Spirit,
led by the Holy Spirit,
started His ministry with the power of the Holy Spirit,
and had the Holy Spirit on Him to bring good news,
to heal, to proclaim liberty and set the oppressed free!

Jesus Himself is making sure we know the Holy Spirit was heavily involved in all the good and amazing that He did while here on the earth!

So begin to pray today, asking God for the promise of the Holy Spirit. Because over the next few days we will be looking at the good and amazing that the Holy Spirit can do through you!

Comments